Sheila Ruth responds to questions from members
The St. Philip Neri Senior Club held its monthly luncheon at the parish hall in Pennsburg on Wednesday, April 26 with 114 members in attendance. Guest speaker Sheila Ruth, Center Manager of The Open Link explained the many services the agency now provides since merging with the other community services. She said there were more than 2,000 people each year who were served through programs offered at The Open Link such as basic computer classes, basic financial and nutrition classes, education seminars, employment counselling, and many recreational opportunities. Ruth also explained the lunch program at the Center and said there are fun days such as “National Soft Pretzel Day,” “Donut Day” the 1st Friday of the month, “National Hoagie Day” in May, and “Inside/Outside Picnic” in June. She added that there is also a 1st Monday of the Month Community Supper program that is open to anyone in the community.
In response to a question regarding funding for The Open Link, Ruth said, “The Open Link receives just 36% of their income from federal, state and county government. The remaining 64% comes from local and private sources.” She specifically mentioned their appreciation for the strong support they receive from the Community Thrift Shop.
In closing, Ruth invited everyone to stop by the Center to learn more about the many programs offered to the community.
Other announcements at the luncheon included: Doug Smith was the April birthday winner and Jean Liska won the 50/50 drawing.
Please join us on Wednesday, May 24th for our next luncheon. See the details in the Parish Bulletin and remember to make your reservation.